Since 1998, the Family Cafe has brought together thousands of individuals with disabilities and their family members for three days of information, training and networking. The event serves as an opportunity for families to collaborate, learn, build friendship and become empowered in a family-centered environment. ABLE United was proud to serve as a major sponsor for this year’s event and used the opportunity to introduce individuals in the disability community to this new savings opportunity.
One of our most important goals was to interact with our prospective consumers and learn more about their needs. Here are the top three questions we were asked:
- Who can open an account?
There are three eligibility criteria for opening an ABLE United account:
- Florida Residency:
The individual must be a Florida resident at the time of application.
- Disability Severity Criteria:
The individual must be blind or have a disability that meets the disability and severity requirements for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).
- Disability Onset:
The onset of blindness or disability must have occurred before the individual’s 26th birthday.
- Florida Residency:
- What are the benefits of an ABLE United account?
An ABLE United account allows you to:
- Save tax-free for future expenses while maintaining government benefits
- Receive the help of family and friends without affecting government benefits
- Opening an ABLE United account takes about ten minutes and does not have an income or asset limitation
- How do I withdraw money from an account, and who do I have to ask permission from?
- Money in an ABLE United account may be withdrawn at any time and for any reason via electronic transfer or check, and the ABLE United Program does not approve withdrawals from an ABLE United account.
- If the money is spent on one of the following Qualified Disability Expenses, which are intended to include “living expenses” and are not required to be medically necessary, the earnings on the money withdrawn is tax-free:
- Legal Fees
- Financial Management
- Employment Training and Support
- Assistive Technology and Personal Support Services
- Oversight and Monitoring
- Funeral and Burial
- Other expenses approved by the Secretary of the U.S. Treasury
Our ABLE United representatives participated in several breakout sessions and keynote speaker presentations in an effort to educate the disability community about the ways that an ABLE United account can help them save for a better life experience.
We were thrilled to participate in the Family Café events and learn more about the community. We hope to see you next year at the 19th Annual Family Café!